In 1989 SIM missionaries Anthony and Nancy Petrillo wrote a proposal to do research in mathematics education in Jos, Nigeria. SIM Nigeria’s administration thought, “This is not missionary work,” but they passed it on to the national church leaders to consider. Prof. Yusufu Turaki who then ECWA General Secretary, responded, “That’s just the type of missionary work we need.” Prof. Turaki had the foresight to see that research would be needed in the near future, for someday the governments would turn to the churches for help in rebuilding the educational system.
Dr. Turaki asked the Petrillos to start the best computer school in the country. They agreed to give the remaining time of their missionary term to do so. Instead of the $30,000 Dr. Petrillo requested for a laboratory and materials, he received $300 and six 12-year-old computers from Houghton College, USA. It was decided that sixteen individuals would be trained. When this was announced in a few churches on Sunday, the result was hundreds waiting to apply on Monday.
In 1993 the training was started and the sixteen students (three of whom were ECWA administrators) eagerly dug in, glad to have the chance to learn. Anthony would take the students through material he was writing, and they’d practice for proficiency. Yet there still was time when the computers sat idle. It was decided that these sixteen students would teach others using the same materials. The response was fantastic. Anthony would then write the material and test it with the staff. They would then take it to the classes. Out of this, EICSI (ECWA Information and Computer Science Institute) evolved. As the staff reaches out with the love of Jesus Christ, EICSI has seen hundreds of students give their lives to Christ.
“The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.” (Psalm 126:3) The faithfulness of the Lord brought the institute to 20 years of existence last year September, 2013. In the past two and half decades, ECWA Information and Computer Science Institute now ECWA International College of Technology has contributed to the development of the much needed middle level manpower by providing computer training to thousands of citizens of Nigeria as well as those of other nations. The Institute has trained and mentored students from other countries like Niger Republic, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Haiti, etc., to fulfill the vision of training men and women who would eventually move to different parts of Nigeria and Africa to set up computer schools for Christ..
Change of Name
The name of the Institute was changed from ECWA Information and Computer Science Institute to “ECWA INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY”. The new name opens opportunities to other programs and places beyond our nation. It is in line with ECWA vision to win all through technology.
EICT is a Christian College offering training and related services in diverse fields of study.
“EICT envisions being a godly leading global college that meets the technological and spiritual needs of the church and society.”
“Providing excellent training and services for improved application of technology in the church and society”
- To carry on the business of the Training and Award of Higher Educational Diplomas in diverse fields of Study in a Christian environment either alone or jointly in participation with other institutions.
- To carry on the business of Information Technology including but not limited to Software Development and Deployment, the sales, installation, maintenance and systems support of VSAT, Computers, Computer accessories, Radio Internet Wireless services, Web Page Design and hosting and other allied equipment.
- To carry on the business of Information Technology Consultancy and Research in all ramifications either alone or jointly with other companies or persons.
- To carry on the business of Office Technology and Data Management including Database Design, Data Analyses, Research Design, Monitoring Evaluation for organizational processes and Administration of research instruments, either alone or jointly with other companies or persons.
- To carry on the business of exports, imports, distributors of computers, computer accessories, and allied equipment in Nigeria and elsewhere in the world.
Plateau State: In the year 1996, the institute was registered with the Plateau State Agency for Adult and Non-Formal Education.In the year 1999, the institute got affiliated to the University of Lagos Computer center, to further give credence to our programmes. Computer Professionals Nigeria, 2002. The institute was offered full accreditation by the Computer Professionals (Registration Council of Nigeria) to run professional Diploma Programs. In the same year (2002) the institute became a corporate member of the Nigeria Computer Society (then Computer Association of Nigeria, COAN). National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) visited the college in January 2014. The following NBTE programs: National Innovation Diploma (NID) and National Vocation Certificate (NVC) started in September 2014. We have transformed into center for academic excellence by becoming an Innovation and Vocational Enterprise Institution (IEI and VEI). These are institutions approved by the Federal Government to provide an alternative route to higher education, as part of the on-going reform of the Technical and Vocational Education sector.